What are the advantages of being an indie author?
- The beauty of indie publishing is that the pricing of your book is entirely in your control. You can change it as often as you like; you can experiment with what works and what looks good alongside competing titles; you can change it to run special deals. The most successful indie authors are constantly assessing their pricing.
How often should indie authors publish?
Randy sez: If you’re an indie author, four months between releases is fine. Many indies publish more often that that, and it doesn’t hurt them. Most indies, in fact, think it helps. This is the opposite of what most traditional publishers believe, at least those whose focus is getting paper editions into bookstores.
How much do indie authors make per book?
Self-published authors can make between 40% – 60% royalties on a the retail price of a single book while traditionally published authors usually make between 10%-12% royalties.
How much does the average indie author make?
According to data from a new survey from Digital Book World and Writer’s Digest, the median income range for self-published authors is under $5,000 and nearly 20% of self-published authors report deriving no income from their writing.
How do I support an indie author?
How to Support Your Favorite Indie Authors (It’s Easier Than You
- Buy Direct.
- Buy Strategically Online.
- Order the Book from Your Local Indie Bookstore.
- Request the Book at the Library.
- Leave a Review on Review Sites.
- Go to Events.
- Give Their Books as Gifts.
- Talk About Their Books on Social Media.
How do you promote an indie book?
Here are our top five fresh ideas for promoting an indie book.
- Blog tours and guest posts. For indie authors, working with book bloggers is one of the most effective ways to get the word out about your books.
- Bonus material.
- Team up with other creatives.
- Become a ‘book fairy’
- Intrigue potential readers with quote images.
What is the best day to release a new book?
Best day of the week or month: If you’re in a rush, the answer is probably Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. If you have some time, this is why: The Traditional Publishers (the big ones… not the self-publishers), typically publish on a Tuesday.
How do you promote a book before it is published?
How to Promote Your Book Before It’s Published on Amazon
- Put it Up on your Website.
- Create a Blog Entry About it.
- Tap Into your Network.
- Create a Fun Video.
- Send it out in your Newsletter.
- Create Promotions to Give out Advance Copies.
- Post in the Advanced Copies for Review & Book Giveaways group on Goodreads (link below)
Who is the richest author in the world?
1. JK Rowling – Topping the list of the richest authors. With a net worth of $1 billion, JK Rowling currently has the accolade of being the richest author in the world and is also the first author to ever achieve this level of financial success from their writing.
Do self-published books sell?
For most authors, the corollary of all of the above is low sales. It’s estimated that the average self-published print book sells around 250 copies over its lifetime (for a look at some old but still meaningful statistics, see here).
Can self-published books become bestsellers?
While skeptics say that if it’s not a New York Times best-seller, then it’s not a “real” best-seller, writers shouldn’t be discouraged. It’s completely possible for best-selling authors to become millionaires by self-publishing on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform.
How many self-published authors are successful?
The cat is out of the bag, finally we know exactly how many self-published authors make it big: 40. Yes, that’s not a typo. 40 self-published authors “make money”, all the others, and they number in the hundreds of thousands, don’t.
Should I copyright my book before self publishing?
There is no need to copyright your book (with the U.S. Copyright Office) before submitting it. The publisher merely handles the paperwork on behalf of the author, and the copyright is the author’s property. (The author’s name follows the copyright symbol on the copyright page.)