What is symbolism in literature?
Symbolism is a literary device that uses symbols, be they words, people, marks, locations, or abstract ideas to represent something beyond the literal meaning. The concept of symbolism is not confined to works of literature: symbols inhabit every corner of our daily life.
What is symbolism in literature examples?
Other Literary Examples of Symbolism
In Elie Wiesel’s novel Night, night is used throughout the book to symbolize death, darkness, and loss of faith. In Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter, the letter “A” symbolizes adultery.
What are the 3 types of symbolism?
5 Different Types of Symbolism, with Examples
- Metaphor. A metaphor is an implicit comparison of one thing to another without the use of a commonly known sign or equation.
- Simile. A simile differs from a metaphor in that a simile is not implied—it explicitly denotes a comparison.
What is symbolism in literature PPT?
What is symbolism? Symbolism is when the author uses an object or reference to add deeper meaning to a story. Symbolism is used to provide meaning to the writing beyond what is actually being described. A symbol can enhance a theme, idea or a character.
What is another name for symbolism?
In this page you can discover 20 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for symbolism, like: typology, relationship, metaphor, analogy, comparison, symbolisation, allegory, archetype, symbolization, iconography and mythology.
What do stars symbolize in literature?
Stars are often seen as symbol of divine guidance, of enlightenment or light in the darkness. Star of Bethlehem is a good example of symbolic di8vine guiding role of a star. In addition, stars have been associated with angelic beings, including fallen angels.
What are common symbols in literature?
While these objects don’t always carry symbolic meaning in a text, these are some of the most common symbols employed in literature.
- Rivers: In literature, rivers are typically symbols of life.
- Rain: Rain usually symbolizes a rebirth or a turning point.
- Winter: Winter most often symbolizes death or stagnation.
What is metaphor in literature?
A metaphor (from the Greek “metaphorá”) is a figure of speech that directly compares one thing to another for rhetorical effect. While the most common metaphors use the structure “X is Y,” the term “metaphor” itself is broad and can sometimes be used to include other literary terms, like similes.
How is symbolism used in a story?
Specifically, symbolism can be used in the following ways:
- Symbols help you show without telling. Writers use symbolism to convey complex ideas without using a ton of words.
- Symbols connect themes.
- Symbols add imagery.
- Symbols hint at darker meanings.
What are 5 examples of symbolism?
Symbolism in Everyday Life
- Black is used to represent death or evil.
- White stands for life and purity.
- Red can symbolize blood, passion, danger, or immoral character.
- Purple is a royal color.
- Yellow stands for violence or decay.
- Blue represents peacefulness and calm.
What are the two categories of symbols?
Symbols can have two types of meaning–Denotative and Connotative.
What are the universal symbols?
Some of the most popular symbols are:
- Heart symbol: this represents love, compassion and health.
- Dove symbol: this represents peace, love, and calm.
- Raven symbol: this represents death and doom.
- Tree symbol: this represents growth, nature, stability, and eternal life.
- Owl symbol: this represents wisdom and intelligence.
What are the characteristics of symbolism?
Here are 5 traits of symbols:
- Symbols add levels of meaning, creating depth in a text.
- Symbols lend a universal meaning and a grandeur to the theme and characters of a literary work.
- Symbols pique the interest of readers as they interact with the text.
- Symbols are keys to the writer’s mind and intent.
What does morning symbolize in literature?
Symbolism: Morning depicts brightness, freshness, new beginning, new opportunities, freedom from night or darkness, new hope, ‘mourning’ and transformations. Morning may also represent mourning over something.
What Is a Symbol PPT?
A symbol is an ordinary object, event, person, or animal to which we have attached a special meaning.