What are the 12 masterpieces of world literature?
- The Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Homer, The Odyssey.
- The 1001 Nights.
- Voltaire, Candide.
- Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red.
- Wole Soyinka, Death and the King’s Horseman.
- Lu Xun, Diary of a Madman.
What is world literature in college?
A study of representative works of world literature from Antiquity, the Middle Ages, and the Renaissance. An important goal of the class is to promote an understanding of the works in their cultural/historical contexts and of the enduring human values which unite the different literary traditions.
What are the 3 features of world literature?
Literature can be divided into three major types: prose (“ordinary language”), poetry (aesthetically structured language), and drama (literature intended for performance; drama may be composed in either prose or poetry).
What are the 5 Literature of the world?
In World Literature, you will study:
- The Odyssey by Homer.
- Antigone by Sophocles.
- The Aeneid by Virgil.
- Divine Comedy: Inferno by Dante.
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.
- Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.
- The Portable Nineteenth Century Russian Reader edited by George Gibian.
- Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
What are the top 5 books you must read?
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
- The Great Gatsby, by F Scott Fitzgerald.
- Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe.
- Moby-Dick, by Herman Melville.
- The Color Purple, by Alice Walker.
- Catch-22, by Joseph Heller.
- Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.
- The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Which country has best literature?
- Ancient Greece.
- Germany. Thomas Mann, Goethe, etc.
- The USA.
- Ancient Rome. In other words, Latin literature (Petronius, Cicero, etc)
- Italy. Dante alone is in the top five writers of all time, up there with Shakespeare, Homer and Tolstoy.
What are the benefits of literature?
Five Reasons to Study Literature
- Literature improves communication skills. The easiest way to improve vocabulary, writing, and speaking skills is to study literature.
- Literature teaches you about yourself.
- Literature teaches about the past.
- Literature cultivates wisdom and a worldview.
- Literature entertains.
Why do we need to study world literature?
When students study Literature, they learn to appreciate words and their power. They travel to other realms and times through the texts they read. They understand about their own culture and others’. Importantly, they learn to consider multiple perspectives and understand the complexity of human nature.
What is world literature in 21st century?
World literature is used to refer to the sum total of the world’s national literatures, but usually it denotes the circulation of works into the wider world beyond their country of origin.
What are the 7 Elements of Literature?
A literary element refers to components of a literary work (character, setting, plot, theme, frame, exposition, ending/denouement, motif, titling, narrative point-‐of-‐view). These are technical terms for the “what” of a work.
What are the 3 types of literature?
Literature is subdivided into the classic three forms of Ancient Greece, poetry, drama, and prose. Poetry may then be subdivided into the genres of lyric, epic, and dramatic.
What is the first literature of the world?
The Epic of Gilgamesh started out as a series of Sumerian poems and tales dating back to 2100 B.C., but the most complete version was written around the 12th century B.C. by the Babylonians.
Which is the best literature in world?
Here is a list of 12 novels that, for various reasons, have been considered some of the greatest works of literature ever written.
- Anna Karenina. Greta Garbo in Anna Karenina.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. To Kill a Mockingbird.
- The Great Gatsby. F.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- A Passage to India.
- Invisible Man.
- Don Quixote.
What is world literature examples?
The simplest way of thinking of WL is that it is literature that has a readership and an impact beyond its original language and cultural area. Examples include the Bible, and the plays of William Shakespeare, both of which have been translated into more than 100 languages and are read or performed on every continent.
Who introduced the world literature?
The term “world literature” was first used by the German writer and statesman Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, referring to the dissemination of literature from and to countries across the globe.