Here are some actionable steps we’ve compiled so you can embark on your journey towards becoming a paid travel writer.
- Develop the right mindset.
- Write constantly.
- Read constantly.
- Be able to travel.
- Decide what kind of writing you want to do.
- Create a website and start a blog.
- Build your brand.
- Get on social media.
- The best way to get started as a travel writer is to write local stories. Writing about local attractions allows you to build up your travel funds and get the few bylines you need to land free trips. Because your costs are little to nothing, any income you make on these local assignments is pure profit.
How do I start as a travel writer?
Start with lesser- known travel blogs, then work your way to the top with paid writing jobs. Make sure people know you’re available for paid travel writing opportunities – Get out there on social media, start a blog highlighting your skills and make it clear you are available and amazing with a call to action!
How much does a freelance travel writer make?
While ZipRecruiter is seeing annual salaries as high as $144,000 and as low as $17,500, the majority of Freelance Travel Writer salaries currently range between $42,000 (25th percentile) to $91,500 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $118,500 annually across the United States.
Is it hard to be a travel writer?
It’s hard work, hugely competitive and – unless you are the second Bryson – you won’t earn much. Roving overseas with a notebook, a deadline and a pack of other journalists can also take the fun out of travelling altogether. It’s certainly no holiday.
What degree do you need to be a travel writer?
The qualifications that you need to start a career in travel journalism include a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or travel and tourism. You also need strong writing or photography skills, knowledge of travel, and the ability to travel abroad.
Who is the best travel writer?
The Best Travel Writers of All Time
- Martha Gellhorn (1908–98)
- Freya Stark (1893–1993)
- Norman Lewis (1908–2003)
- Dervla Murphy (1931– )
- Ryszard Kapuscinski (1932–2007)
- Jan Morris (1926–)
- V. S. Naipaul (1932–)
- Patrick Leigh Fermor (1915–)
Where do I submit travel writing?
Here are dozens of publications that provide opportunities for travel writing jobs:
- Matador Network.
- Outpost Magazine.
- Travel + Leisure Magazine.
- Arizona Highways Magazine.
- Canadian Geographic Magazine.
How do I become a successful travel writer?
How to Become a Successful Travel Writer
- Travel Purposefully. If you want to write about your travels, you can’t just relax and ignore your surroundings.
- Read. Travel writing is a major genre!
- Write. Sit down and write.
- Find Your Genre.
- Share Your Work.
- Develop an Online Presence.
- Submit Your Piece.
How do travel writers make six figures?
Secrets to Earning Six Figures in Freelance Travel Writing
- More hats, more hustle.
- No shortage of places to pitch.
- Turn your travel blog into a business.
- Niching down in the digital age.
- Be your own brand.
- Book your ticket to travel writing success.
What is the salary of a travel blogger?
While ZipRecruiter is seeing annual salaries as high as $126,500 and as low as $16,500, the majority of Travel Blogger salaries currently range between $34,500 (25th percentile) to $90,500 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $110,500 annually across the United States.
What job pays you to travel?
8 jobs that pay you to travel
- Travel nurse. What you’d do: As boomers continue to age, the national nursing shortage is continuing to grow, according to the American Nurses Association.
- Athletic scout.
- Management consultant.
- Event coordinator.
- Flight attendant.
- Travel agent.
How do I become a travel influencer?
How to Become a Travel Influencer on Instagram?
- Discover Your Niche:
- Be Creative With Taking Pictures:
- Show Your Prowess In Videos:
- Create A Brand On Instagram:
- Go For Collaborations:
- Hashtag All The Way:
- Utilize Instagram Stories:
- Start Your Travel Hub Account:
How can you get paid to travel?
Other Travel Jobs to Pay You to Travel
- Teach English Online. Always stay safe online.
- Teach English Overseas. If our travel blogging career didn’t work out, we were going to teach english overseas.
- Work on a Cruise Ship.
- Work at a Resort or International Hotel.
- Spa Staff.
- Creating and Running your own Tours.
- Yoga Instructor.
What is a freelance travel writer?
Freelance travel writers are self-employed professionals who write about various aspects of the travel industry and traveling, gathering their information firsthand by visiting various cities, states, and countries.
How much do travel journalists make?
Travel Journalists in America make an average salary of $43,271 per year or $21 per hour. The top 10 percent makes over $62,000 per year, while the bottom 10 percent under $29,000 per year.