Understatement is the description of something as having much less of a particular quality than it does. That often involves representing something as less important, less valuable, or smaller than it is. Understatement is the opposite of hyperbole, the term that Professor Elena Passarello explains in her video.
What does understatement mean in poetry?
- An understatements is a common figure of speech. It can be used in literature, poetry, song and daily speech. Making an understatement minimizes the severity of a situation, draws in the reader and can be used to make others feel better. An understatements can also add a touch of humor to something quite serious.
An understatement is a tool that helps to develop other figures of speech, such as irony and sarcasm, by deliberately decreasing the severity of a situation, when an intense response is expected by the listeners or the readers.
What is the meaning of understatement?
1: a statement that represents something as smaller or less intense, or less important than it really is: a statement that understates something To say that I was surprised by this outcome would be an understatement.
What is the literary term for understatement?
In rhetoric, litotes (/ˈlaɪtətiːz/, US: /ˈlɪtətiːz/ or /laɪˈtoʊtiːz/; also known classically as antenantiosis or moderatour) is a figure of speech and form of verbal irony in which understatement is used to emphasize a point by stating a negative to further affirm a positive, often incorporating double negatives for
How do you use understatement in a sentence?
Understatement in a Sentence
- Saying he had gained a little weight was an understatement since he had put on thirty just last month.
- To say that getting a home loan with bad credit is a small challenge would be a huge understatement.
- Calling the affair a small mistake was an understatement the man’s wife would resent.
What are some examples of Litotes?
Litotes Examples in Common Expressions
- It’s not rocket science.
- He’s no spring chicken.
- It’s not my first rodeo.
- He isn’t the brightest bulb in the box.
- You won’t be sorry you bought this knife set.
- I don’t deny that it was wrong.
- The trip wasn’t a total loss.
- He doesn’t always have the best sense of direction.
What is an understatement example?
An understatement would be: “I did OK on that test.” (Modest) You scrape the entire side of your car. An understatement would be: “It is only a small scratch.” (Comedic) Describing a huge storm overnight, an understatement would be: “Looks like it rained a bit last night.” (Comedic)
What is another word for understatement?
In this page you can discover 18 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for understatement, like: less than the truth, modest statement, underestimate, underestimation, belittlement, oversimplification, overstatement, anticlimax,, exageration and restrained statement.
Can a word be an understatement?
a statement that describes something in a way that makes it seem less important, serious, bad, etc. than it really is, or the act of making such statements: To say that her resignation was a shock would be an understatement – it caused panic. “It didn’t go well? ” “That’s the understatement of the year/decade/century.
What is ironic understatement?
Most of the time when people refer to understatement, they’re referring to ironic understatement, which just means that the speaker is using understatement to say one thing with the intention of actually communicating something quite different.
What literary device does Gwendolen use when she says I think there must be some slight error?
Understatement is a literary device that is used by writers to intentionally make a situation less important or strong than what it actually is.
What are the 4 types of irony?
What Are the Main Types of Irony?
- Dramatic irony. Also known as tragic irony, this is when a writer lets their reader know something that a character does not.
- Comic irony. This is when irony is used to comedic effect—such as in satire.
- Situational irony.
- Verbal irony.
Is an understatement figurative language?
Understatement is a type of statement that is much less forceful than what is accurate. Understatement is a figurative language technique. It is like hyperbole, but the opposite. Hyperbole means to exaggerate or go well beyond literal reality, whereas understatement goes under it.
What does beautiful is an understatement mean?
It means that the previous statement was not strong or emphasized enough. For example: Person A: Wow, that girl is pretty. Person B: That’s an understatement. That girl is beautiful!
What is an example of chiasmus?
Chiasmus is a figure of speech in which the grammar of one phrase is inverted in the following phrase, such that two key concepts from the original phrase reappear in the second phrase in inverted order. The sentence “She has all my love; my heart belongs to her,” is an example of chiasmus.
What does Hypophora mean?
Hypophora, also referred to as anthypophora or antipophora, is a figure of speech in which the speaker poses a question and then answers the question.
What are the 5 examples of apostrophe?
- Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are. (
- O holy night!
- Then come, sweet death, and rid me of this grief. (
- O, pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth. (
- Roll on, thou deep and dark blue Ocean – roll! (
- Welcome, O life!