What books should every high school student read?
The List of Indispensable Books
- To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee’s seminal coming-of-age story set in the fictional southern town of Maycomb, Alabama.
- Nineteen Eighty-Four.
- Lord of the Flies.
- Animal Farm.
- Catcher in the Rye.
- The Grapes of Wrath.
- Invisible Man.
- The Alchemist.
What grade level is American literature?
Familiarity with the classics of U.S. literature helps students maintain fluency and their reading level, and encourages independent reading. Certain titles appear frequently on high-school reading lists for 10th grade (or 11th) American literature study.
What are some examples of American literature?
American Literature: Examples & Analysis – Chapter Summary
- The poetry of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
- Poe’s The Raven and The Cask of Amontillado.
- Moby Dick.
- The Scarlet Letter.
- The poetry of Emily Dickinson.
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
- The Great Gatsby.
- Of Mice and Men.
What is the greatest American novel of all time?
- Moby-Dick by Herman Melville (1851)
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1852)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)
- The Great Gatsby by F.
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos (1925)
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (1939)
- Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (1952)
What books should a 16 year old read?
16 coming-of-age books every 16-year-old should read
- The Harry Potter series. JK Rowling, 1997-2011.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Stephen Chbosky, 1999.
- The Outsiders. SE Hinton, 1967.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee, 1960.
- The Lord of The Rings. JRR Tolkien, 1954.
- The Catcher in the Rye. JD Salinger, 1951.
- Great Expectations. Charles Dickens, 1861.
What books do you read in 12th grade?
12th Grade Reading List Books
- Wuthering Heights (Paperback) Emily Brontë
- Brave New World (Paperback) Aldous Huxley.
- A Tale of Two Cities (Paperback) Charles Dickens.
- The Scarlet Letter (Paperback)
- Frankenstein: The 1818 Text (Paperback)
- The Diary of a Young Girl (Mass Market Paperback)
- Crime and Punishment (Paperback)
- The Odyssey (Paperback)
What are good books for 11th graders?
- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Get it HERE.
- Revolution. by Deborah Wiles.
- Salt to the Sea. by Ruta Sepetys.
- Dread Nation. by Justina Ireland.
- Boys on the Boat (Young Readers Adaptation) by Daniel James Brown.
- Audacity. by Melanie Crowder.
- Maus: A Survivor’s Tale by Art Spiegelman. Get it HERE.
- Egg and Spoon.
What literature means?
Literature broadly is any collection of written work, but it is also used more narrowly for writings specifically considered to be an art form, especially prose fiction, drama, and poetry. In recent centuries, the definition has expanded to include oral literature, much of which has been transcribed.
What are common themes in American literature?
Terms in this set (10)
- The American Dream.
- Loss of Innocence.
- Coming of Age.
- Relationship with Nature.
- Relationship with Society.
- Relationship with Science.
- Alienation and Isolation.
- Survival of the Fittest.
Who is the greatest American writer?
- Edgar Allan Poe 1809 –1849.
- Herman Melville 1819 – 1891.
- Walt Whitman 1819-1892.
- Mark Twain 1835 – 1910.
- T.S. Eliot 1888 – 1965.
- William Faulkner 1897 –1962.
- Tennessee Williams 1911-1983.
- Kurt Vonnegut 1922 – 2007.
What is America’s favorite novel?
‘To Kill a Mockingbird‘ is America’s favorite novel, reports PBS ‘The Great American Read’ And “America’s best-loved novel” is … “To Kill a Mockingbird.”
What is the best-selling book ever?
Copies Sold: 500 Million
Selling an eye-watering 500 million copies worldwide, Don Quixote is the best–selling book of all time.
Who wrote the first American novel?
William Hill Brown’s The Power of Sympathy: or, The Triumph of Nature was published 226 years ago today, in 1789. It’s generally considered the first American novel, though you won’t find it on many (any?)