What does erasure mean in poetry?
Erasures in Literature by Karen GisonnyApril 20, 2015
Erasure is a form of literature, often poetry, created by selectively erasing words from an existing text to produce a new work. There are many ways writers choose to erase; delete, redact, white out, cross out, draw over, illustrate… to name a few.
How is an erasure poem different from a blackout poem?
Like blackout or redacted poetry, erasure poetry is also a form of found poetry. Erasure poetry is created by erasing words from existing text and framing the result on the page as a poem. Whereas redacted poetry is deliberately created by not altering the placement, position, or sequence of words.
What is the goal of the best erasure poetry?
Erasure poetry may be used as a means of collaboration, creating a new text from an old one and thereby starting a dialogue between the two, or as a means of confrontation, a challenge to a pre-existing text.
What are some examples of a poem?
Examples of Poem in Literature
- Example #1: While you Decline to Cry (By Ō no Yasumaro) Haiku Poem.
- Example #2: The Song of Hiawatha (By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) Epic Poem.
- Example #3: After the Sea-Ship (By Walt Whitman) Free Verse Poem.
- Example #4: La Belle Dame sans Merci (By John Keats) Ballad.
What found poem means?
Found poems take existing texts and refashion them, reorder them, and present them as poems. The literary equivalent of a collage, found poetry is often made from newspaper articles, street signs, graffiti, speeches, letters, or even other poems.
How do you write a found poem?
Steal your way into a found poem by following these steps:
- Find a work space. Find a flat space like a floor, a table or a desk.
- Brainstorm. Create a list of extraordinary moments.
- Snip. Snip.
- Layout. Before you start pasting your words into lines of poetry, lay them out and rearrange them.
What is blackout poem?
A blackout poem is when a poet takes a marker (usually black marker) to already established text—like in a newspaper—and starts redacting words until a poem is formed. The key thing with a blackout poem is that the text AND redacted text form a sort of visual poem.
What is a shape poem?
A shape poem is a poem that is shaped like the thing it describes. The shape adds to the meaning of the poem. To write a shape poem, it helps to start by writing down all the words that come to mind about the chosen topic. These words can then be used in the poem. Music, Art, and Literature›Poetry›Shape poems ›
How do you teach blackout poems?
Here’s how you teach it:
- What is it?
- Choose a page of text.
- Gather the interesting words.
- Determine what words to keep.
- Refine word choice.
- Once students are happy with their poem, they can begin to blackout the page.
- Or — create an image that fits with the poem.
- Use a sharpie or pen to outline.
Do blackout poems have to make sense?
There are several convincing reasons to try blackout poetry yourself, even if you aren’t an artist or a poet. First, blackout poetry is a great stress reliever, and stress is definitely something that can get in the way of writing and creativity.
Which best explains why word order is important in poetry?
The definition of a word is less important than the way it sounds. The best poems mix up word order so that sentences are hard to. understand.
What does Sestina mean?
A complex French verse form, usually unrhymed, consisting of six stanzas of six lines each and a three-line envoy.
What is the easiest type of poem to write?
Acrostic poetry is considered on of the simpler forms of poetry and is commonly taught to younger students. Acrostic poems are generally quick and easy to write and open students minds to the understanding that poetry is a non conventional style of writing which doesn’t always have to make perfect sense.
How do you write a short poem?
How to Write Short Poems
- Get Inspired. Carry the inspiration until something sparks.
- Just Say It. Challenge yourself to tell a story or describe a moment in, say, no more than five lines.
- Select Your Words.
- Get Some Space.
What is a Cinquain poem?
A cinquain is a five-line poem that describes a person, place, or thing. dessert.