10 Short Story Authors You Should Be Reading
- Anton Chekhov. Chekhov wrote from every point of view: men, women, old, young, rich, poor.
- Katherine Mansfield. Her stories are very mysterious to me.
- Isaac Babel. Babel was a master of compression.
- Mavis Gallant.
- John Cheever.
- James Baldwin.
- Deborah Eisenberg.
- Roberto Bolaño.
What is the best short story ever written?
The Best Short Stories of All Time Online
- Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway.
- The Bet by Anton Chekhov.
- The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.
- The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe.
- The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
- To Build a Fire by Jack London.
- The Gift of the Magi by O.
Who is the first writer of short story?
Nikolai Leskov created his first short stories in the 1860s.
Who is the best story writer in English?
So, in no particular order, here is our pick of the ten most famous English authors of all time:
- William Blake 1757-1827.
- Geoffrey Chaucer 1343-1400.
- John Donne 1572-1631.
- George Eliot 1819-1880.
- John Milton 1608-1674.
- George Orwell 1903-1950.
- Harold Pinter 1930-2008.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834.
Who is the writer of short story the shroud?
This paper analyzes the much applauded short story The Shroud by the renowned writer, Munshi Premchand (1880-1936) in the light of Roland Barthes’s post-structuralist model of narrative analysis.
Who is father of short stories?
Legacy. Maupassant is often described as the father of the modern short story—a literary form that’s more condensed and immediate than the novel. His work was admired by his contemporaries and imitated by those who came after him.
Who wrote Harry Potter books?
J.K. Rowling first had the idea for Harry Potter while delayed on a train travelling from Manchester to London King’s Cross in 1990. Over the next five years, she began to plan out the seven books of the series. She wrote mostly in longhand and amassed a mountain of notes, many of which were on scraps of paper.
Who is the author of epic?
authorThe ancient authors of the stories that compose the poem are anonymous. The latest and most complete version yet found, composed no later than around 600 b.c., was signed by a Babylonian author and editor who called himself Sin-Leqi-Unninni.
What is the first short story written in English?
Geoffrey Chaucer’s ‘Canterbury Tales’ may very well be the first collection of short stories in English literature. Composed in Middle-English verse or prose and written in the early 14th century, Chaucer’s collection revolves around a storytelling contest among pilgrims on their way to Canterbury.
Who is master of short stories?
Canadian author Alice Munro has won the Nobel Prize in literature. The 82-year-old author recently announced that she plans to stop writing. Alice Munro has been awarded the Nobel Prize in literature, the Swedish Academy announced Thursday morning.
What is the most famous story?
Here they explain why.
- The Odyssey (Homer, 8th Century BC)
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe, 1852)
- Frankenstein (Mary Shelley, 1818)
- Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell, 1949)
- Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe, 1958)
- One Thousand and One Nights (various authors, 8th-18th Centuries)
Who is the best story writer in the world?
1. James Patterson — £71.3 million ($95 million) James Patterson is the world’s highest-paid author by a wide margin, and has been the world’s best-selling author since 2001. He has sold more than 350 million books worldwide, and is most famous for the “Alex Cross” crime novel series.
Who is son of Ghisu in the shroud?
Set in an Indian village, the milieu of Premcand’s best works, on a dark, chilly winter night, it is the story of a father, Ghisu, and his son, Madhav, who sit at the door of their hut roasting potatoes stolen from a neighbor’s field. Budhiya, Madhav’s young wife of one year, is inside groaning in childbirth.
Who gave two rupees to Ghisu in?
When the Landlord Sahib gave two rupees, then how could the village merchants and money-lenders have the nerve to refuse? Ghisu knew how to beat the drum of the landlord’s name. One gave two paisas, another gave four paisas. In an hour, Ghisu had collected the sum of five rupees in ready cash.
What language is Premchand written in?
Premchand, also spelled Prem Chand, pseudonym of Dhanpat Rai Srivastava, (born July 31, 1880, Lamati, near Varanasi, India—died October 8, 1936, Varanasi), Indian author of novels and short stories in Hindi and Urdu who pioneered in adapting Indian themes to Western literary styles.