How do you teach literature in high school?
Here’s how to teach high school Literature and KNOW you are doing it right:
- * Choose wisely.
- * Read with your brain turned on.
- * Read with your SPIRIT turned on.
- * Talk about what you’ve read.
- * Allow writing assignments to grow out of these conversations.
What are the main teaching methods while teaching literature?
There are six approaches in the teaching of literature. They are the (1) Language-Based Approach, (2) Paraphrastic Approach, (3) Information-Based Approach, (4) Personal-Response Approach, (5) Moral-Philosophical Approach, and (6) Stylistic Approach.
What are the effective strategies to teach literature?
Professor Youngandfun next door recommended his literature-based teaching strategies.
General strategies include:
- Scaffold Instruction – Give structure, lots of it at first.
- Modeling – As you read or discuss a literary work, think out loud.
- Cooperative Learning – Students don’t mind taking risks in small groups.
What does a teacher of literature teach in the class?
Literature is authentic material. Literature educates the whole person. By examining values in literary texts, teachers encourage learners to develop attitudes towards them. These values and attitudes relate to the world outside the classroom.
How is literature used in the classroom?
How to use literature meaningfully in the language classroom
- Choose a book that suits your students’ levels and interests.
- Pre-teach vocabulary for discussing literature.
- Activate their prior knowledge.
- Model your process of thinking about literature.
How do you teach theme in literature?
11 Essential Tips for Teaching Theme in Language Arts
- Meet your students where they are.
- Start with concrete details.
- Clarify the difference between theme and main idea.
- Scaffold the learning.
- Use essential questions.
- Ask story-specific questions, too.
- Approach theme from different directions.
- Accept a range of answers.
What literature can teach us?
Literature teaches us how to live. Literature makes the reader visit places, experience events, meet people, listen to them, feel their joys and sufferings. It takes years to acquire so much wisdom that a single book of literary merit instills in a reader. Literature mirrors the society and its mannerisms.
What are the kinds of literature?
- Drama. Stories composed in verse or prose, usually for theatrical performance, where conflicts and emotion are expressed through dialogue and action.
- Fairy Tale.
- Fiction in Verse.
- Historical Fiction.
What are the challenges of teaching literature?
Among the problems in EFL literature teaching – low motivation, lack of confidence, inadequate teaching methods, exam stress, underqualified teachers, insufficient in-service training – students‟ proficiency levels have been always standing out as the most critical (Abdullah, T.
How do you promote literature?
10 Ways to Promote Independent Reading
- Host a book club.
- Collaborate with your local library.
- Host a young author read-aloud.
- Reenact favorite books.
- Mystery check-outs.
- Make time for independent reading.
- Lead by example.
- Host a reading-related event.
How can I make my literature class interesting?
Tips on HOW to make literature INTERESTING to students
- Bring literature to life.
- Have the students create artwork.
- Play games.
- Assign the students to be Teacher for the Day.
- Write it out.
- Laugh a lot.
- Participate in the above activities!
What are the 12 strategies in teaching English literature in the 21st century?
12 Strategies For Teaching Literature In The 21st Century
- Use combinations of media–classic and modern together, leveraging one against the other.
- Have students analyze diverse media forms for their strengths and weaknesses–and involve both classic and digital forms.
- Have students turn essays into videos into podcasts into letters into simply-coded games into poems into apps.
What are the two kinds of literature?
The two types of literature are written and oral. Written literature includes novels and poetry. It also has subsections of prose, fiction, myths, novels and short stories. Oral literature includes folklore, ballads, myths and fables.
What are the 4 types of assessment?
A Guide to Types of Assessment: Diagnostic, Formative, Interim, and Summative.
How do you teach literature in primary school?
Tips on Teaching Literacy to Elementary Students
- Time: spend more time on reading and writing.
- Text: have lots of books for children to read.
- Teach: actively teach useful strategies.
- Talk: let students talk about how and what they are learning.
- Task: give students longer assignments to build stamina, instead of short tasks.