What is world literature in college?
A study of representative works of world literature from Antiquity, the Middle Ages, and the Renaissance. An important goal of the class is to promote an understanding of the works in their cultural/historical contexts and of the enduring human values which unite the different literary traditions.
What is world literature?
World literature is used to refer to the total of the world’s national literature and the circulation of works into the wider world beyond their country of origin. Many scholars assert that what makes a work considered world literature is its circulation beyond its country of origin.
What are the 3 features of world literature?
Literature can be divided into three major types: prose (“ordinary language”), poetry (aesthetically structured language), and drama (literature intended for performance; drama may be composed in either prose or poetry).
What are the 12 masterpieces of world literature?
- The Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Homer, The Odyssey.
- The 1001 Nights.
- Voltaire, Candide.
- Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red.
- Wole Soyinka, Death and the King’s Horseman.
- Lu Xun, Diary of a Madman.
What are the benefits of literature?
Five Reasons to Study Literature
- Literature improves communication skills. The easiest way to improve vocabulary, writing, and speaking skills is to study literature.
- Literature teaches you about yourself.
- Literature teaches about the past.
- Literature cultivates wisdom and a worldview.
- Literature entertains.
What is the scope of literature?
The scope of literature. Literature is a form of human expression. Most theories of literary criticism base themselves on an analysis of poetry, because the aesthetic problems of literature are there presented in their simplest and purest form. Poetry that fails as literature is not called poetry at all but verse.
What are the 4 types of literature?
The four main literary genres are poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and drama, with each varying in style, structure, subject matter, and the use of figurative language. The genre raises certain expectations in what the reader anticipates will happen within that work.
What are the 7 Elements of Literature?
A literary element refers to components of a literary work (character, setting, plot, theme, frame, exposition, ending/denouement, motif, titling, narrative point-‐of-‐view). These are technical terms for the “what” of a work.
What is the 2 types of literature?
The two types of literature are written and oral. Written literature includes novels and poetry. It also has subsections of prose, fiction, myths, novels and short stories. Oral literature includes folklore, ballads, myths and fables.
What are the features of world literature?
Chapter 7: Characteristics of World Literature
- styles of Folklore. Fables, legends, mythology.
- Fables. In prose or verse to point to a moral; Characters are frequently animals.
- Styles of Fiction.
- Science fiction.
- Utopian Fiction.
What are the 3 types of literature?
Literature is subdivided into the classic three forms of Ancient Greece, poetry, drama, and prose. Poetry may then be subdivided into the genres of lyric, epic, and dramatic.
Who introduced the world literature?
The term “world literature” was first used by the German writer and statesman Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, referring to the dissemination of literature from and to countries across the globe.
Which country has best literature?
France. You could certainly argue that France rivals England, with Proust, Montaigne, Flaubert etc. Goethe thought that England, France and Persia had produced the world’s greatest poetry. Ancient Greece.
What are the top 5 books you must read?
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
- The Great Gatsby, by F Scott Fitzgerald.
- Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe.
- Moby-Dick, by Herman Melville.
- The Color Purple, by Alice Walker.
- Catch-22, by Joseph Heller.
- Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.
- The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Which is the best literature in world?
Here is a list of 12 novels that, for various reasons, have been considered some of the greatest works of literature ever written.
- Anna Karenina. Greta Garbo in Anna Karenina.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. To Kill a Mockingbird.
- The Great Gatsby. F.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- A Passage to India.
- Invisible Man.
- Don Quixote.