- Undergraduate and graduate college students use literature maps to organize and synthesize the literature reviewed for a research paper, thesis or dissertation. For example, a business or technology student can study how enterprises recruit and select employees and how the use of the Internet affects this process.
What is a literature map?
A literature map (Cresswell, 2011) is a two dimensional diagrammatic representation of information where links are made between concepts by drawing arrows (which could be annotated to define the nature of these links).
How do you start a literature search?
Literature Search: Process Flow
- Develop a research question in a specific subject area.
- Make a list of relevant databases and texts you will search.
- Make a list of relevant keywords and phrases.
- Start searching and make notes from each database to keep track of your search.
Where can I search for literature?
Scopus and Web of Science are good databases to start with for any research topic and literature review. Scopus is a large multidisciplinary database covering published material in the humanities and sciences. It also provides citation analysis of authors and subject areas.
How do you write a literature map?
Steps in Creating
- Start with a central idea or theme.
- Write down all the words and phrases that come to mind in relation to the topic.
- Add keywords to the branches.
- Extend your initial ideas using more branches and nodes.
- Group ideas/points/references in different ways.
What is literature in your own words?
Literature is a group of works of art made up of words. Most are written, but some are passed on by word of mouth. Literature usually means works of poetry and prose that are especially well written. Literature can also mean imaginative or creative writing, which is looked at for its artistic value.
What is concept map example?
Concept maps are visual representations of information. They can take the form of charts, graphic organizers, tables, flowcharts, Venn Diagrams, timelines, or T-charts. Concept maps are especially useful for students who learn better visually, although they can benefit any type of learner.
How do you write a mind map topic?
- Begin with the main concept. First determine the main purpose of your mind map and write it down.
- Add branches to the main concept. Now that you have determined the main purpose of your mind map, add branches that will outline the most basic subtopics.
- Explore topics by adding more branches.
- Add images and colors.
What makes a good concept map?
Concept maps typically have text, or linking words, written on each line to make sense of the relationship between a general concept and more specific ones. The text might include a specific verb like “provides” or “encompasses.”
How do you start an introduction for a literature review?
The introduction should include a clear statement of the topic and its parameters. You should indicate why the research area is important, interesting, problematic or relevant in some way. The literature review is an important part of a dissertation or thesis. It should be thorough and accurate.
How do you identify literature?
- Citation searching – combing through bibliographies of relevant articles.
- Hand searching – reviewing tables of contents in key relevant journals.
- Raiding – review archives of listservs and other relevant mailing lists.
- Expert polling – asking tutors and colleagues for suggestions.
How do you start off a literature review?
One common way to approach a literature review is to start out broad and then become more specific. Think of it as an inverted triangle: First briefly explain the broad issues related to your investigation; you don’t need to write much about this, just demonstrate that you are aware of the breadth of your subject.
Which literature search is required for research?
Literature search is a key step in performing good authentic research. It helps in formulating a research question and planning the study. The available published data are enormous; therefore, choosing the appropriate articles relevant to your study in question is an art.
How do you record a literature search?
Record your search
- Create a document listing all the keywords and subject headings you need for your search.
- Save your search strategy from each database – use the workspace in each database to save your final search. Or simply print it out.
- You’ll find it helpful to keep a simple spreadsheet recording the databases you have searched.
What is the order of doing a literature search systematically?
Eight key stages were determined relating specifically to literature searching in systematic reviews. They were: who should literature search, aims and purpose of literature searching, preparation, the search strategy, searching databases, supplementary searching, managing references and reporting the search process.