What are examples of literature?
Literature is defined as books and other written works, especially those considered to have creative or artistic merit or lasting value. Books written by Charles Dickens are an example of literature. Books written on a scientific subject are examples of scientific literature.
What are the types of English literature?
English literature can be divided into four main types.
Who is the best English literature?
- 12 Essential English Novels Everyone Should Read.
- Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
- Middlemarch, by George Eliot.
- Nineteen Eighty-Four, by George Orwell.
- The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Diary of a Nobody, by George and Weedon Grossmith.
- His Dark Materials, trilogy by Philip Pullman.
- Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë
What are the 8 periods of English literature?
A Brief Overview of British Literary Periods
- Old English (Anglo-Saxon) Period (450–1066)
- Middle English Period (1066–1500)
- The Renaissance (1500–1660)
- The Neoclassical Period (1600–1785)
- The Romantic Period (1785–1832)
- The Victorian Period (1832–1901)
- The Edwardian Period (1901–1914)
- The Georgian Period (1910–1936)
What are the 2 types of literature?
The two types of literature are written and oral. Written literature includes novels and poetry. It also has subsections of prose, fiction, myths, novels and short stories. Oral literature includes folklore, ballads, myths and fables.
What are the 5 types of literature?
Today, Vista Higher Learning is breaking down the differences to give you a crash course on the five main genres of literature.
- #1- FICTION. One of the most popular genres of literature, fiction, features imaginary characters and events.
- #2- NONFICTION.
- #3- DRAMA.
- #4- POETRY.
- #5- FOLKTALE.
Who is the father of English literature?
Geoffrey Chaucer. He was born in London sometime between 1340 and 1344. He was an English author, poet, philosopher, bureaucrat (courtier), and diplomat. He is also referred to as the father of English Literature.
What are the 4 types of literature?
The four main literary genres are poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and drama, with each varying in style, structure, subject matter, and the use of figurative language. The genre raises certain expectations in what the reader anticipates will happen within that work.
What are the 3 types of literature?
Literature is subdivided into the classic three forms of Ancient Greece, poetry, drama, and prose. Poetry may then be subdivided into the genres of lyric, epic, and dramatic.
What is classic English literature?
Even within genres or literary movements, books that are considered classic are those that are well-written and/or have cultural importance. A book that may not have the best writing but was the first book in a genre to do something ground-breaking is a classic.
What are English classics?
English Classics Books
- Pride and Prejudice (Paperback) Jane Austen.
- Jane Eyre (Paperback) Charlotte Brontë
- Wuthering Heights (Paperback) Emily Brontë
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (Paperback) Oscar Wilde.
- Sense and Sensibility (Paperback) Jane Austen.
- Emma (Paperback) Jane Austen.
- Animal Farm (Mass Market Paperback)
- Romeo and Juliet (Paperback)
Who is the famous novel writer?
List of best-selling fiction authors
|Author||Min. estimated sales||Genre or major works|
|William Shakespeare||2 billion||Plays and poetry|
|Agatha Christie||2 billion||Whodunits including the Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot series|
|Barbara Cartland||500 million||Romance|
|Danielle Steel||500 million||General fiction, Romance|
Which is the first Age of English literature?
Old English literature, or Anglo-Saxon literature, encompasses the surviving literature written in Old English in Anglo-Saxon England, in the period after the settlement of the Saxons and other Germanic tribes in England (Jutes and the Angles) c. 450, after the withdrawal of the Romans, and “ending soon after the
Which period of English literature came first?
The Old English Period or The Anglo-Saxon Period (450-1066)
Christianity reached England and christianization of the pagan English tribes began. In the 7th century monasteries were established where a written literature began. Earlier to this whatever existed as literature was oral.
What is the age of English literature?
Know Different Ages in History of English Literature
|Time Span||Period Name|
|1350-1400 A.D.||The Age of Chaucer|
|1066-1500 A.D.||Middle English Period|
|1500-1600 A.D.||The Renaissance or the Early Modern Period|
|1558–1603 A.D.||The Elizabethan Age|