Ten Amazing Literary Facts You Should Know
- Most expensive book ever purchased:
- Longest book in the world:
- Roald Dahl’s interesting life experiences:
- Victor Hugo’s 823 word long sentence:
- J.K. Rowling is not actually her name:
- Charles Dickens’ superstitious behaviour:
- Tolstoy owes War and Peace to his wife’s efforts:
What is interesting about English subject?
11% of the entire English language is just the letter E. The English language is said to be one of the happiest languages in the world – oh, and the word ‘happy’ is used 3 times more often than the word ‘sad’! 1/4 of the world’s population speaks at least some English. The US doesn’t have an official language.
Did you know facts about books?
- There are over 129 million books in existence.
- The most expensive book ever purchased was sold for $30.8 million.
- There’s a word for loving the smell of old books.
- The longest sentence ever printed is 823 words.
- Author’s names didn’t used to be printed on the covers of their books.
Did you know facts about English language?
Let’s take a look at ten interesting facts about the English language:
- 1 “I am” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
- 2 A pangram sentence is one that contains every letter in the language.
- 3 Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (*breath*) is NOT the longest word in English.
Who is the most famous English author?
So, in no particular order, here is our pick of the ten most famous English authors of all time:
- William Blake 1757-1827.
- Geoffrey Chaucer 1343-1400.
- John Donne 1572-1631.
- George Eliot 1819-1880.
- John Milton 1608-1674.
- George Orwell 1903-1950.
- Harold Pinter 1930-2008.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772-1834.
Why is English interesting?
English may not be the most spoken language in the world, but it is the official language of 53 countries and spoken by around 400 million people across the globe. Learning English is important as it enables you to communicate easily with your fellow global citizens.
What is the beauty of English?
The beauty of the English language is in its suppleness and rich variety of words and the vast source of its words. There are words from so many languages; Viking words, Roman words, Anglo-Saxon words, French words, Celtic words, American words, and more.
What is the longest book in the world?
Over the years, there has been some controversy over what constitutes the world’s longest novel. The Guinness Book of World Records gives the honor to Marcel Proust’s elephantine Remembrance of Things Past, weighing in at 9,609,000 characters (including spaces).
What is the most read book in the world?
The most read book in the world is the Bible. Writer James Chapman created a list of the most read books in the world based on the number of copies each book sold over the last 50 years. He found that the Bible far outsold any other book, with a whopping 3.9 billion copies sold over the last 50 years.
What are the 5 benefits of reading?
Research shows that regular reading:
- improves brain connectivity.
- increases your vocabulary and comprehension.
- empowers you to empathize with other people.
- aids in sleep readiness.
- reduces stress.
- lowers blood pressure and heart rate.
- fights depression symptoms.
- prevents cognitive decline as you age.
Why is English so popular?
Some people cite other reasons for the popularity of the English language, such as that it is “easy to learn” or that is evolves with our changing times. Some people long for the days when every country spoke their own language, and English was an eccentricity for language experts.
What is fun in English grammar?
“Fun” or “Funny”: Advanced definitions
Fun isn’t always an adjective, it can be a noun as well. Especially in the expression “to have fun”: it means to have a pleasurable time. For instance: “Julia is a fun girl! She’s really fun to be around, she always has crazy ideas for things to do.”
What is the English language known for?
Modern English, sometimes described as the first global lingua franca, is also regarded as the first world language. English is the world’s most widely used language in newspaper publishing, book publishing, international telecommunications, scientific publishing, international trade, mass entertainment, and diplomacy.
Who is the best writer in history?
TOP TEN AUTHORS BY POINTS EARNED
- Leo Tolstoy — 327.
- William Shakespeare — 293.
- James Joyce — 194.
- Vladimir Nabokov — 190.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky — 177.
- William Faulkner — 173.
- Charles Dickens — 168.
- Anton Chekhov — 165.
Who is the #1 best selling author?
List of best-selling fiction authors
|Author||Min. estimated sales||Number of books|
|William Shakespeare||2 billion||42|
|Agatha Christie||2 billion||85|
|Barbara Cartland||500 million||723|
|Danielle Steel||500 million||179|
Who is famous writer in world?
A list of famous writers/authors/poets throughout history. William Shakespeare (1564 – 1616) English poet and playwright. Famous plays include Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice and Hamlet. Shakespeare is widely considered the seminal writer of the English language.