What are the 12 masterpieces of world literature?
- The Epic of Gilgamesh.
- Homer, The Odyssey.
- The 1001 Nights.
- Voltaire, Candide.
- Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red.
- Wole Soyinka, Death and the King’s Horseman.
- Lu Xun, Diary of a Madman.
What are the 5 Literature of the world?
In World Literature, you will study:
- The Odyssey by Homer.
- Antigone by Sophocles.
- The Aeneid by Virgil.
- Divine Comedy: Inferno by Dante.
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.
- Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.
- The Portable Nineteenth Century Russian Reader edited by George Gibian.
- Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
What are the examples of world literature?
World Literature Books
- Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) Chinua Achebe.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude (Mass Market Paperback) Gabriel García Márquez.
- Crime and Punishment (Paperback) Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
- The Stranger (Paperback)
- The Kite Runner (Paperback)
- The Metamorphosis (Paperback)
- The Alchemist (Paperback)
- Don Quixote (Paperback)
Who are the famous writers of world literature?
100 prominent authors from more than 50 different nations have elected The Library of World Literature: “The 100 Best Books in the History of Literature“.
- Chinua Achebe. (b.
- Hans Christian Andersen. (1805-1875)
- Jane Austen. (1775-1817)
- Honoré de Balzac.
- Samuel Beckett.
- Giovanni Boccaccio.
- Jorge Luis Borges.
- Emily Brontë
Which country has best literature?
France. You could certainly argue that France rivals England, with Proust, Montaigne, Flaubert etc. Goethe thought that England, France and Persia had produced the world’s greatest poetry. Ancient Greece.
Which is the best literature in world?
Here is a list of 12 novels that, for various reasons, have been considered some of the greatest works of literature ever written.
- Anna Karenina. Greta Garbo in Anna Karenina.
- To Kill a Mockingbird. To Kill a Mockingbird.
- The Great Gatsby. F.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude.
- A Passage to India.
- Invisible Man.
- Don Quixote.
What is the first literature of the world?
The Epic of Gilgamesh started out as a series of Sumerian poems and tales dating back to 2100 B.C., but the most complete version was written around the 12th century B.C. by the Babylonians.
Who introduced the term world literature?
Although the term “world literature” was coined by Goethe in 1827 in the small duchy of Weimar, it was developed in Istanbul during World War II by German Jews such as Erich Auerbach and Leo Spitzer who were seeking refuge from Hitler.
What are the features of world literature?
Chapter 7: Characteristics of World Literature
- styles of Folklore. Fables, legends, mythology.
- Fables. In prose or verse to point to a moral; Characters are frequently animals.
- Styles of Fiction.
- Science fiction.
- Utopian Fiction.
What are the 3 features of world literature?
Literature can be divided into three major types: prose (“ordinary language”), poetry (aesthetically structured language), and drama (literature intended for performance; drama may be composed in either prose or poetry).
What are the 7 literary periods?
Periods of American Literature
- The Colonial and Early National Period (17th century to 1830) The first European settlers of North America wrote about their experiences starting in the 1600s.
- The Romantic Period (1830 to 1870)
- Realism and Naturalism (1870 to 1910)
- The Modernist Period (1910 to 1945)
- The Contemporary Period (1945 to present)
What is national literature?
A national literature is an essential element in the formation of national. character. It is not merely the record of a country’s mental progress: it. is the expression of its intellectual life, the bond of national unity, and. the guide of national energy.
Who is the most famous writer ever?
TOP TEN AUTHORS BY POINTS EARNED
- Leo Tolstoy — 327.
- William Shakespeare — 293.
- James Joyce — 194.
- Vladimir Nabokov — 190.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky — 177.
- William Faulkner — 173.
- Charles Dickens — 168.
- Anton Chekhov — 165.
Who is the best writer in English?
So, in no particular order, here is our pick of the ten most famous English authors of all time:
- Jane Austen 1775 – 1817.
- William Blake 1757-1827.
- Geoffrey Chaucer 1343-1400.
- John Donne 1572-1631.
- George Eliot 1819-1880.
- John Milton 1608-1674.
- George Orwell 1903-1950.
- Harold Pinter 1930-2008.
Who is the most famous book writer?
1. James Patterson — £71.3 million ($95 million) James Patterson is the world’s highest-paid author by a wide margin, and has been the world’s best-selling author since 2001. He has sold more than 350 million books worldwide, and is most famous for the “Alex Cross” crime novel series.