Who is the most famous British author?
Celebrating the 450th anniversary of his birth this year, William Shakespeare – also known as the Bard – is the most famous of British writers. The playwright is still commemorated for having coined nearly 1,700 of the words and phrases we still use today.
Who are the famous writers in English literature?
So, in no particular order, here is our pick of the ten most famous English authors of all time:
- Jane Austen 1775 – 1817.
- William Blake 1757-1827.
- Geoffrey Chaucer 1343-1400.
- John Donne 1572-1631.
- George Eliot 1819-1880.
- John Milton 1608-1674.
- George Orwell 1903-1950.
- Harold Pinter 1930-2008.
Who are the top 10 authors?
TOP TEN AUTHORS BY NUMBER OF BOOKS SELECTED
- William Shakespeare — 11.
- William Faulkner — 6.
- Henry James — 6.
- Jane Austen — 5.
- Charles Dickens — 5.
- Fyodor Dostoevsky — 5.
- Ernest Hemingway — 5.
- Franz Kafka — 5.
Who is the best English author?
- Middlemarch (George Eliot, 1874)
- To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf, 1927)
- Mrs Dalloway (Virginia Woolf, 1925)
- Great Expectations (Charles Dickens, 1861)
- Jane Eyre (Charlotte Brontë, 1847)
- Bleak House (Charles Dickens, 1853)
- Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë, 1847)
- David Copperfield (Charles Dickens, 1850)
Who is the mother of English literature?
Before there was Jane Austen or even the gleam in Mr. Bronte’s eye that would engender his three novelist daughters, there was Frances (Fanny) Burney, master of the novel of social courtship, and according to Virginia Woolf, “the mother of English fiction.”
Who is the #1 best selling author?
List of best-selling fiction authors
|Author||Min. estimated sales||Number of books|
|William Shakespeare||2 billion||42|
|Agatha Christie||2 billion||85|
|Barbara Cartland||500 million||723|
|Danielle Steel||500 million||179|
Who is the father of English literature?
Geoffrey Chaucer. He was born in London sometime between 1340 and 1344. He was an English author, poet, philosopher, bureaucrat (courtier), and diplomat. He is also referred to as the father of English Literature.
Who is the most famous poem writer?
#1 William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare was the towering figure of the Renaissance in England. He is now widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s pre-eminent dramatist. His best known works in poetry is his collection of 154 sonnets, which was first published in 1609.
Who are the best writers today?
The 10 best living American novelists
- Alice Walker. Getty Images.
- Marilynne Robinson. The unprolific author of Housekeeping (1980) and Gilead (2004) has brought to American fiction a spiritual quality rare among her cockily rationalistic generation of writers.
- Jonathan Franzen.
- Michael Chabon.
- Bret Easton Ellis.
- George Saunders.
- Rachel Kushner.
- Anne Tyler.
Who is the best-selling author 2020?
The New York Times Fiction Best Sellers of 2020
|March 15||Blindside||James Patterson and James O. Born|
|March 22||House of Earth and Blood||Sarah J. Maas|
|March 29||The Mirror and the Light||Hilary Mantel|
|April 5||The Boy from the Woods||Harlan Coben|
Which is the most sold book in the world?
25 Best-Selling Books of All-Time
- #1 – Don Quixote (500 million copies sold)
- #2 – A Tale of Two Cities (200 million copies sold)
- #3 – The Lord of the Rings (150 million copies sold)
- #4 – The Little Prince (142 million copies sold)
- #5 – Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (107 million copies sold)
Who is the number one writer?
James Patterson is the world’s highest-paid author by a wide margin, and has been the world’s best-selling author since 2001. He has sold more than 350 million books worldwide, and is most famous for the “Alex Cross” crime novel series.
Who is the best thriller author?
Dame Agatha Christie holds the title of bestselling fiction author of all time, having sold an estimated 2 billion copies of her 78 crime novels.
Who is the best female author?
Here are 10 of the most mentioned authors, in no particular order, and what our readers had to say about them:
- Doris Lessing (1919 – 2013)
- Toni Morrison (born 1931)
- Ursula K Le Guin (born 1929)
- Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
- Clarice Lispector (1920 – 1977)
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (born 1977)
- Margaret Atwood (born 1939)
Who is the best fantasy author?
16 of the Best Fantasy Authors Ever
- George R. R. Martin.
- Seanan McGuire.
- Brandon Sanderson.
- Patrick Rothfuss.
- J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Nnedi Okorafor.
- Andrzej Sapkowski.
- Robin Hobb.